Background: Redesign responsive, online experience for customers to shop, buy and use health insurance including planning for and tracking of healthcare and related health savings account(s).
Client: Highmark Blue Cross Blue Shield (enterprise size)
Consultancy: MAYA Design
Project Length: 6 months
- Project Managers, Researchers, Designers, Software Engineers, Interns
- User research: generative & evaluative
- Synthesis: insights, opportunities, design implications & strategy
- Iterative design of responsive web-based software: sketches, user flows, low and high fidelity wireframes, information architecture diagrams, low and high fidelity prototypes, design patterns
- Workshop facilitation
- Relationship management within multi-vendor project
- Capacity building of human-centered design methods within client organization
- Mentorship of interns
Deliverables: User flows & scenarios, information architecture diagrams, low & high fidelity wireframes, low & high fidelity prototypes, design patterns, design pattern library
- Contextual Interviews
Interviewed consumers about their experiences identify pain points, unmet needs, and potential barriers.
- Participatory Design
Created participatory design materials & facilitated participatory design sessions
- Usability Testing (photos below)
Created paper and interactive prototypes & facilitated usability testing
Insights, opportunities & design implications
Consumers feel unsure about what any procedure will cost them and have difficulty doing the calculations with certainty, so they call ahead to budget for procedures and call afterward to understand the bills. "It took me nearly a year to get the final bills and understand what my portion of the total cost was."
- Provide worksheets or cost calculators so consumers can look up the cost of their service and how much they’d be expected to pay based on their utilization, coverage, co-pays, etc.
- Provide a way for consumers to “game out” the available treatment options and compare them along standard dimensions.
Sketches, user flows, wireframes, prototypes, design pattern library
It exists! (Evaluative data and feedback pending)